Connect with us


Memphis Falls to Ole Miss on the Road



Memphis fell to Ole Miss in a close road matchup over the weekend. (Image Credit: Petre Thomas / USA TODAY Sports)

The Memphis Tigers (5-2) lost on Saturday, 80-77, against Ole Miss (7-0) in an epic battle. The Tigers were coming off a disappointing loss against Villanova in the Battle of Atlantis championship game in the Bahamas. They were looking for a chance to redeem themselves in this matchup against the Rebels.

Game Recap

Ole Miss got off to a strong start on the offensive end, but the Tigers responded with a 9-0 run early in the game.

The Tigers led by double-digits in the game thanks to a 17-2 run midway through the first half. This run allowed Memphis to take a 19-9 lead. The road team headed into the locker room with a 37-30 lead, behind 16 points from David Jones on 6-11 shooting from the floor.

Memphis shot 42% from the field, 16% from the three-point line, and went 12-15 at the free-throw line. On the defensive end, the Tigers had a total of nine steals and 13 forced turnovers in the first half.

Malcolm Dandridge’s Strong Performance

Malcolm Dandridge entered the game early on for the Tigers when Jordan Brown picked up two fouls just two minutes into the contest. He scored 13 points on 6-9 shooting and grabbed four rebounds.

It wasn’t just on the offensive end where Dandridge made his mark, however.

Dandridge came into the game averaging 1.8 blocks per game in 13.3 minutes. On Saturday, he collected three blocks in his first six minutes of play. Ole Miss center Moussa Cisse hit Dandridge with the “too small” gesture and a couple of plays later Dandridge posterized Cisse in response. This big play gave the Tigers a 36-30 advantage towards the end of the first half.

Down to the Wire

The momentum carried into the second half early on for the Tigers, but the Rebels fought back. Memphis took the lead 43-32 less than two minutes into the second half and Ole Miss responded with a 21-8 run midway through the period.

Despite leading the majority of the game, the Tigers struggled on the defensive end to get stops late in the game. Ole Miss wing Allen Flanigan made a three-point shot with 2 minutes remaining to give the Rebels a two-point lead.

With just 42 seconds left in a tie game, Coach Penny Hardaway called his last timeout to set his defense. Ole Miss guard Jaylen Murray made a layup with 18 seconds remaining to put the Rebels up 79-77.

With five seconds left to tie the game, Jahvon Quinerly missed a three-point jumper and the Tigers went on to lose their second consecutive game.

Up Next

The Tigers will return to action on December 6th against VCU on the road. Tip-off is set for 6:00 p.m. at Stuart C. Siegel Center and the game will be broadcast on ESPNU.